Nullable types

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 05:59:01 PDT 2008

"Lionello Lunesu" <lionello at lunesu.remove.com> wrote in message
news:gdhd0f$g3v$1 at digitalmars.com...
<snip>
> [1] http://delight.sourceforge.net/null.html

It seems that Delight had the same idea as Nice.  Which was first?

I see C# is a bit different - primitive types have nullable variants, but
classes are always nullable.

Is there any language where you can have multiple levels of nullness?
Something like Type?? which could represent, along with a Type object or
lack thereof, a lack of any (Type object or lack thereof).  If that makes
sense.  (It could be done with pointers in C/C++/D, but that adds levels of
indirection and requires the programmer to allocate little bits of memory to
deal with them.)

> [2]
> http://research.microsoft.com/fsharp/manual/import-interop.aspx#Nullness

This might take a bit of studying to make sense of....

Stewart.

--
My e-mail address is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies
on the 'group where everybody may benefit.