Fibers

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:31:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I noticed that, in D 2.20, we now have an implementation of fibers for D2.  I
> understand the basic differences between a fiber and a thread (preemptive vs.
> cooperative multitasking, threads can take advantage of multicore, fibers
> can't).  However, from a more practical point of view, I've become curious,
> what are fibers actually good for?  What can be done with fibers that either
> can't be done at all or can't be done as efficiently/elegantly/safely with
> threads?

Oh, they're in core.thread!  Huh.  Very interesting.

These are stack threads right?  Check out the presentation from the
D/Tango conference by Mikola -- it's very well done.
http://petermodzelewski.blogspot.com/2008/10/tango-conference-2008-fibers-talk-video.html

One thing I think they enable is a less hacky opApply.

--bb