Balance

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Oct 22 05:24:25 PDT 2008

Benji Smith wrote:
> The way I see it, a language's ecosystem consists of five distinct
> elements:
>
>  -- Semantic Language Features: things like the basic types, template
> semantics, calling conventions, package/module structure, etc.
>
>  -- Syntactic Language Features: sugary things like "foreach", the
> ternary operator, or the fallthrough structure of switch/case
> statements, that make code more clear and concise, but which don't
> enable fundamentally new kinds of functionality.
>
>  -- Core Runtime Features: features that absolutely must be present at
> runtime in order to enable the basic langauge semantics: memory
> allocation, garbage collection, dynamic classloading, reflection, stack
> tracing, etc.
>
>  -- Standard Library Features: features that are common to nearly every
> application, but which aren't necessarily required: console and file IO,
> sockets, streams, math functions, etc.
>
>  -- User Libraries: everything else!
>
> I'm curious about the general perception in the community about the
> balance between those five elements of the D ecosystem. How do you think
> they *should* be balanced? Do you think we're currently accomplishing
> that balance? Do you think any of those elements are being over or under
> prioritized?
>
> Just curious...
>
> --benji

Actually The ecosystem of a programming language also includes its tools
(compilers, debuggers, builders, editors, IDEs, testing tools,
frameworks, etc.), which is actually a very big slice.
Some people also consider the user community of a language to be part of
the ecosystem.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate