Descent, DLTK, Mmrnmhrm [Was: foo!(bar) ==> foo{bar} ==> foo[bar] (just Brackets)]

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Wed Oct 22 08:01:44 PDT 2008

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Frank Benoit wrote:
>> Steven Schveighoffer schrieb:
>>> To be absolutely honest, I didn't even know what that was before
>>> about 2 weeks ago when someone mentioned it as an IDE.  I had seen
>>> people mention it, but never what it was.  The name is so offputting
>>> to me that I probably will never use it.  Call me petty if you wish,
>>> but that's just the way it is ;)
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>
>> I also heard that saying ppl in IRC. And I did also not try it.
>>
>> The name is important. For that reason just LLVMDC was renamed to LDC.
>> It is important ppl can remember the name and can talk about it. Both
>> impossible with Mmrn......
>> A better name, a better Homepage and Screenshots can help a lot.
>>

> I understand about the name, but what's the problem with Mmrnmhrm's
> current homepage and screenshots?
>
> As for the name, it's a personal touch of geek humor and homage, but
> yeah, it's silly. (although, for those newcomers that don't know yet, I
> didn't make it up, the name comes from Star Control II and is
> pronunciable:
> http://svn.dsource.org/projects/descent/downloads/mmrnmhrm.wav )
>
> But yeah, it's not adequate for a proper product, and I would think
> about changing it if I saw that I would have significant time in the
> future to continue developing Mmrnmhrm, but unfortunately that is not
> the case :( , as I'm going back to working full-time. Makes you wish you
> had that 20% time for personal projects like Google engineers have. ~_~'
>
> Also, if Descent were to adopt DLTK, it would pretty much obsolete
> Mmrnmhrm... *wink* *wink* :)

I'd like to do that in the future, but I don't know if DLTK can provide
all the features that Descent provides right now. It would really
simplify the development process, adoption of new features right from
DLTK, and will make it easy for newcomers help making Descent.

IMP is another possibility, but the same doubt remains...