Adding Unicode operators to D

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Wed Oct 22 17:59:45 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote
>> Please vote up before the haters take it down, and discuss:
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/78rjk/allowing_unicode_operators_in_d_similarly_to/

It'd be fun to find ways to use all those nutty symbols. Maybe the ♥
operator could be used to indicate "friend" classes!!!

    class TreeNode
       ♥ Tree,
       ♥ TreeVisitor,
    {

Seriously, though... I wouldn't mind seeing some unicode operators.

But if we go that route, I think there ought to be some official support
(endorsement, contribution, collaboration, etc) toward an editor or IDE
for writing D code.

It's one thing to say "you could hypothetically configure your editor to
automatically transform trigraphs into unicode symbols". But it's
another thing entirely if there's support from the horse's mouth for the
development of those tools.

--benji