Adding Unicode operators to D

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 18:26:29 PDT 2008

2008/10/23 Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Benji Smith <dlanguage at benjismith.net> wrote:
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>>
>>> "Andrei Alexandrescu" wrote

>> It'd be fun to find ways to use all those nutty symbols. Maybe the ♥
>> operator could be used to indicate "friend" classes!!!
>>
>>   class TreeNode
>>      ♥ Tree,
>>      ♥ TreeVisitor,
>>   {
>>   }
>>
>> Seriously, though... I wouldn't mind seeing some unicode operators.
>

> One problem I just realized is that pretty much all the popular bitmap
> programming fonts lack unicode chars.  Proggy is the one I use.
> This is probably the biggest roadblock for me.  It means that all the
> funky symbols are going to have to come from some other font and will
> look horrible.  Using a substitute font often does things like forcing
> the line heights to increase on those lines which have the substituted
> chars, etc.  Ick.
>
> So I guess I'd like to know that there's a good small-point-size
> bitmap programming font out there that has all the needed symbols.

From the Fortress wiki:
http://projectfortress.sun.com/Projects/Community/wiki/MathSyntaxInFortress
"""
Support for the full collection of symbols is not widespread yet, but
three fonts offer good coverage:

    * Code2000 many characters, shareware ($5)
    * Everson Mono monowidth, shareware (€25 for 3 computers)
    * Stix fonts comprehensive, integrated with TeX, probably released
later this year.
"""

So there are only three fonts usable for Fortress?  And two require
payment, and one isn't actually released yet??

--bb