Heretical template syntax proposal

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 22:50:02 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Janderson <ask at me.com> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
> Its also the way ADA worked.  It was a great feature because it made
> programming more generic.  Imagine being able to use an array in the same
> template without having to write a wrapper function (and visa versa).  Sadly
> I don't think D will ever adopt this as its a pretty radical change from C
> and D.  Also it means all the libs would have to be re-written to work with
> this when they get ported to D 2 or 3.

For the most part an automatic tool that changed !() to [] and [] to
() would work, but any class or struct that has both opIndex and
opCall would need to be redesigned.

So yeh, it would be a difficult transition.   I guess I'll just jot it
down as a reminder in case I ever decided to implement my own language
some day. :-)

--bb