Change the name of ArrayBoundsException in druntime

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:54:49 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu
> Sergey Gromov wrote:
>>
>> Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:44:46 -0500,
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, I meant to catch Exception. My point was, if I want to print an
>>> informative message, the exception should be able to provide it without
>>> having to encode it in its type.
>>
>> It's all nice and simple until you want to localize.  Then all your
>> 'informative compiler-provided messages' appear as garbage to a non-
>> English-speaking user.  They need to be translated somehow.  And the
>> translation is likely to be based upon the context, not upon an arbitrary
>> string exception contains.
>
> No, translation would have to be provided via a string table. And guess who
> provides the key for that table.

But what Sergey is pointing out is that
1) if you rely on a human readable string for the key, then you have
to fix things when some maintenance programmer fixes a spelling error
in the message
2) if you rely on human readable strings in that are in 3rd party
libraries then you have to find all those strings some how.  Could be
difficult without source.

So if you're going to translate then having an actual key, a unique
identifying symbol not meant for human consumption, is a better
approach.

--bb