Descent, DLTK, Mmrnmhrm [Was: foo!(bar) ==> foo{bar} ==> foo[bar] (just Brackets)]

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Oct 24 04:28:21 PDT 2008

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to do that in the future, but I don't know if DLTK can
>>> provide all the features that Descent provides right now. It would
>>> really simplify the development process, adoption of new features
>>> right from DLTK, and will make it easy for newcomers help making
>>> Descent.
>>>
>>> IMP is another possibility, but the same doubt remains...
>>
>> DTLK provides most features, but yes, there are some it doesn't. For
>> example there is no contribution to the Project Explorer view at all.
>> (you must use DLTK's Script Explorer view instead).
>> But I don't see that as much of problem, because you can keep using
>> parts ported from JDT to add up to the base DLTK functionality (I did
>> that sometimes in Mmrnmhrm - duplicating DLTK code to override the
>> base functionality), so you don't have to drop all the JDT ported code.
>>
>> As for the immediate benefits that such transition would bring to
>> Descent, well it depends. I was meaning to ask, how much of the
>> indexer did you port from JDT? Is it working well?
>
> I didn't port any of it. Well, just the necessary stuff to get the Open
> Type dialog list all types, and to make top-level declarations searches.
> But nothing that is inside methods/functions is indexes, as far as I
> know. The search for top-level declarations is working well. It is not
> exposed to users, but it is used in autocompletion and in the Open Type
> dialog.

Hum, I see. I guess the advantage of porting to DLTK could be considered
"moderate" then (namely the possible new features would be
search-for-references, and type hierarchies, as there is in Mmrnmhrm now).
It would be interesting to try an experimental branch of Descent based
on DLTK to actually see how it would work out. I myself would be
interested in doing that, but again, unfortunately I won't have the time  :/

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate