Heretical template syntax proposal (alternate D language syntax)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Oct 25 12:22:13 PDT 2008

Bruno Medeiros:
> Interesting (even though it has Python indentation :P ).

I think giving it a Python-style syntax is the main (and in the beginning almost only) purpose of Delight. So if you don't like that thing, then probably Delight isn't for you.

> But does it have all D features?

Once debugged I think it will have all features of D2, minus few things left out on purpose, like global variables.

Note that Delight adds some other things, fixes some of the glaring holes of D2 (like in its module system), adds a built-in log system, nullable types, and I'm discussing with the author regarding other small things to add, like a "in" lookup for arrays, OpCmp and opEquals among AAs, lazy/nonlazy list comps syntax copied exactly from Python, a set data type, etc.
The hope is to produce a language nicer to program, more concise, and a little less bug prone than D. I don't know if it will succeed.

> Can a D program be automatically translated to a Delight program?

Why do you want to do this?
I think that in most cases a translation can be quite mechanical, the translator can automatically add a class to store the global variables used in the D program...

Bye,
bearophile