Heretical template syntax proposal (alternate D language syntax)

Thomas Leonard talex5+d at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 03:09:41 PDT 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:05:48 +0100, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Bruno Medeiros
>> <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote:
>>> Hum, on a side note, that makes me think how it would be like for a
>>> language like D, with the same semantics as D, but having a completely
>>> redesigned syntax, from the grounds up. I wonder if there could be
>>> significant advantages in such a language (in clarity, consistency,
>>> expressiveness, etc).
>>
>> Delight is partly there.  http://delight.sourceforge.net/
>
> Interesting (even though it has Python indentation :P ). But does it
> have all D features? Can a D program be automatically translated to a
> Delight program?

Almost. Just change the header generation functions to output in Delight
syntax instead of D syntax. I used this to compile Phobos at one point.

But that meant I could never make Delight smaller than D, since I had to
support every feature of D, so I changed the compiler to allow parsing
both D and Delight code. The things I've removed are listed here in the
"D" section:

  http://delight.sourceforge.net/compare.html

If anything else doesn't work, it's a bug ;-)