opImplicitCast/opImplicitCastFrom

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 27 10:34:45 PDT 2008

Hxal:
> Well then, that's their problem, isn't it?

I can't agree. While it's generally impossible to engineer/design a really "fool proof" system, a well designed system (I am talking about machines too, car/plane pilot levers and commands too) must take into account the basics of what we today know about the human nature too, and avoid human errors when possible and/or not too much costly. You can read books written by Donald Norman (www.jnd.org ) about this topic.

What today often we call "human errors" (of some user) are instead errors of the human designers (that haven't done well what I have just said), and not of the humans that use a system. On the other hand those human designers where often working in situations where their bosses didn't want a better design, etc. So basic social psychology studies have seen the cause of the mistake is often politics inside a hyerarchical group of working people... But I don't want to slip into this can of worms now.

Bye,
bearophile