Escape analysis

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Oct 28 20:49:39 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> I tend to ask a question along these lines to entry-level interviewees
> and it's surprising how often they get it wrong.  So I agree that this
> is a fair point.  I mostly brought up this argument because C++ is
> unapologetically designed for experts and I'm occasionally inclined to
> view D the same way... even though its goal is really somewhat different.

To me that is akin to building a car with no brakes and justifying it by
saying it is "designed for experts." Sure, an expert who never makes any
mistakes could effectively drive such a car. The trouble is, the road is
full of non-expert drivers the expert ones are forced to interact with,
and even the experts still make mistakes now and then.

I don't believe that having brakes impairs the performance of my car one
bit.

I also would not say that C++ was deliberately designed without brakes,
it just kinda worked out that way. We have the benefit of hindsight in
designing D.