Escape analysis (full scope analysis proposal)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 08:01:35 PDT 2008

"Michel Fortin" wrote
> On 2008-10-28 23:52:04 -0400, "Robert Jacques" <sandford at jhu.edu> said:
>
>> I've run across some academic work on ownership types which seems
>> relevant  to this discussion on share/local/scope/noscope.
>
> I haven't read the paper yet, but the overview seems to go in the same
> direction as I was thinking.
[snip]

This is exactly the kind of thing I DON'T want to have.  Here, you have to
specify everything, even though the compiler is also doing the work, and
making sure it matches.  Tack on const modifiers, shared modifiers, and pure
functions and there's going to be more decorations on function signatures
than there are parameters.

Note that especially this scope stuff will be required more often than the
others.

I'd much rather have either no checks, or have the compiler (or a lint tool)
do all the work to tell me if anything escapes.

-Steve