New in C#4

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:26:03 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> And as far as I've seen, the only benefits that can't already be achieved
> just fine through templates or boxing are just incredibly trivial things
> like not creating an extra variable to hold the string equivilant of one of
> your ints.

Er - "holding the string equivalent of an int"?  Which are you arguing
against, then: dynamic typing or weak typing?  They are two separate
axes of typing systems that are often erroneously conflated..

If you're arguing against weak typing - that is, providing loopholes
in the typing system by means of implicit conversions that exist for
no other purpose than convenience - I am with you 100%.  Weak typing
is an absolute abomination that does not deserve to belong in any
language that is to be used as more than a toy.

But if you're arguing against dynamic typing, or more generally
dynamic object manipulation, I'm not sure I'd agree.  Dynamic typing
does have some very nice use cases - RPC (without having to
dynamically generate and compile statically-typed code), database
interaction, GUIs (see obj-c), interaction with other
dynamically-typed languages, etc.  Having either dynamic or static
typing just makes emulating the other a pain or impossible.  Having
both gives you the best of both worlds.