narrowed down the problem area

K.Wilson phizzzt at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 23:56:59 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter Wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 2:26 PM, K.Wilson <phizzzt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I just finished initial support for x86-64 output with the ldc compiler (dmdfe attached to llvm backend) and wanted to do some timings, so I used the ray tracing code mentioned in this old thread. I compiled things with the same optimization flags mentioned in the thread and came up with these averages over 6 runs on an AMD x86-64 machine running Fedora Core Linux.
> >
> > llvm-g++4.0.1   5.76
> > ldc-rev736      6.68
> > g++4.1.2        6.72
> > gdc0.24         7.45
> > g++4.3.1        7.66
> > dmd1.030        14.52
> >
> > Seems like the LLVM backend is doing well (though I have seen other timings where g++4.x beats llvm-g++4.x, so take from this what you will).
> >
> > I just thought I would let people know that ldc is coming along and performs quite well, at this point. And it has some x86-64 support now ;)
>
> Faaaaan Tastic!
>
> So how is Windows support coming along?  Does it build smoothly with MinGW now?
>
> --bb

Hey Bill,

I didn't see your question the other day...the windows support is still not up to par for x86-64 (whether trying to build in 32 or 64 bit mode). I couldn't get things built on my machine for Windows (but I don't have VStudio 2008, which is suggested because MinGW64 is not production quallity yet).

I think building for MinGW on x86 is somewhat supported and running...exceptions and inline asm still have some issues...hopefully these issues will be resolved quickly.

Thanks,
K.Wilson