"Protocol Buffers" for Tango & Phobos ??

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:36:11 PDT 2008

Brian Price, el  1 de septiembre a las 14:31 me escribiste:
> Hate to say it but this is yet another case of reinventing the wheel.  The worst
> thing about this throwback to the early 90s is its inherent violation of DRY.
> This package intermingles and confuses three separate issues, treating them as a
> monolithic whole, namely: serialization, marshalling, and versioning.

Different problems has differents solutions. What you say is really nice
and have sense when *latency* and other performance issues are not a problem
to you (it's obviously a problem for Google and for a lot of other people,
like me, I was doing a little "framework", similar to Google's PB at work,
just before they release it =).

When you deal with (almost) realtime systems, you can't pay the price for
human readability, extra parsing time, extra abstraction and extra bytes
thrown throgh the wire. You just can't.

You don't even care about portability (this kind of things usually run in
a very controlled environment).

I just wanted to clarify this.