Google Chrome and process-based design

Alexander Panek alexander.panek at brainsware.org
Wed Sep 3 07:08:27 PDT 2008

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> You already know that Google is making a buzz with their new Chrome
> browser.
> Go download and test it if you didn't do yet (www.google.com/chrome/,
> Windows only for now).
>
> It is heavily multi-threaded and uses separate process for each window,
> each tab, each plugin etc. When one tab hags or a plugin crashes,
> nothing bad happens. The browser continues working as if nothing
> changes. It even has a built-in process manager, try opening youtube.com
> and killing a flash player plugin.
>
> You can read the whole story at www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
>
> This is an example of process-based designs implementation which is what
> D2 aims at, and it is clearly a success.

It's funny, just a week ago or so Bartosz Milewski published a blog
entry about how processes scale better than threads..

I tried Chrome and I'm really impressed by how responsive it is. Also,
the UI is kept very minimalistic, yet it doesn't lack any features. The
website-application feature is also a very handy thing.

Overall, I'd say Google Chrome is quite an impressive product. Would
love having a D port. :P