Google Chrome and process-based design

davidl davidl at 126.com
Wed Sep 3 08:46:57 PDT 2008

在 Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:08:27 +0800,Alexander Panek
<alexander.panek at brainsware.org> 写道:

> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>> You already know that Google is making a buzz with their new Chrome
>> browser.
>> Go download and test it if you didn't do yet (www.google.com/chrome/,
>> Windows only for now).
>>  It is heavily multi-threaded and uses separate process for each
>> window, each tab, each plugin etc. When one tab hags or a plugin
>> crashes, nothing bad happens. The browser continues working as if
>> nothing changes. It even has a built-in process manager, try opening
>> youtube.com and killing a flash player plugin.
>>  You can read the whole story at www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
>>  This is an example of process-based designs implementation which is
>> what D2 aims at, and it is clearly a success.
>
> It's funny, just a week ago or so Bartosz Milewski published a blog
> entry about how processes scale better than threads..
>
> I tried Chrome and I'm really impressed by how responsive it is. Also,
> the UI is kept very minimalistic, yet it doesn't lack any features. The
> website-application feature is also a very handy thing.
>
> Overall, I'd say Google Chrome is quite an impressive product. Would
> love having a D port. :P

Who will ever want to port a such big project? 437MB Source tarball(WTF, a
browser bigger than OS source base)

Google goes the wrong way. It just extends the current web crap not
reinvent something smarter.

--
使用 Opera 革命性的电子邮件客户程序: http://www.opera.com/mail/