Google Chrome and process-based design

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 09:37:02 PDT 2008

Alexander Panek wrote:
> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>> You already know that Google is making a buzz with their new Chrome
>> browser.
>> Go download and test it if you didn't do yet (www.google.com/chrome/,
>> Windows only for now).
>>
>> It is heavily multi-threaded and uses separate process for each
>> window, each tab, each plugin etc. When one tab hags or a plugin
>> crashes, nothing bad happens. The browser continues working as if
>> nothing changes. It even has a built-in process manager, try opening
>> youtube.com and killing a flash player plugin.
>>
>> You can read the whole story at www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
>>
>> This is an example of process-based designs implementation which is
>> what D2 aims at, and it is clearly a success.
>
> It's funny, just a week ago or so Bartosz Milewski published a blog
> entry about how processes scale better than threads..
>
> I tried Chrome and I'm really impressed by how responsive it is. Also,
> the UI is kept very minimalistic, yet it doesn't lack any features. The
> website-application feature is also a very handy thing.

I'd like it better if it had the Safari-like progress meter in the
location bar.  IE/FF/Chrome just have a spinning device... so does that
mean I can expect it to take an infinitely long time to load and render?
 Safari at least shows how close to completion it is with the finite
progress bar.  For some pages it's really nice to see how far it gets
before hanging up.  It helps in diagnostics, too.