Google Chrome and process-based design

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:08:08 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> It's probably worth mentioning that IE has offered an option to make
>>> each window its own process for as long as I can remember.  That said,
>>> the idea of rethinking browsers in general is a good one, if "web as a
>>> platform" is ever going to make headway.
>>
>> Ehrm, I think that the Window as a Process feature is in Explorer only,
>> not Internet Explorer.  I quickly checked my Internet Explorer and
>> didn't find that feature (though I know it's there for just plain-old
>> Explorer).  Explorer isn't a web browser AFAIK, so IE really hasn't been
>> doing anything special along those lines.
>
> Internet Explorer 8 has tabs-as-processes and windows as processes. 7-
> work like traditional browsers.

Interesting.  I hope they kept the memory use down.  I warmed up IE7
from a five-month period of inactivity and used Chrome to monitor its
memory use.  I opened up the same pages as I had in Chrome (with the
exception of the memory window) and found IE to use less memory by
almost 15 MB.  Then again, I had been using Chrome for a while, and it
was a fresh instance of IE.  But a 15MB disparity I didn't think I could
resolve by restarting Chrome.