Google Chrome and process-based design

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 19:32:12 PDT 2008

Alexander Panek wrote:
> davidl wrote:
>> 在 Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:08:27 +0800,Alexander Panek
>> <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> 写道:
>>> Overall, I'd say Google Chrome is quite an impressive product. Would
>>> love having a D port. :P
>>
>> Who will ever want to port a such big project? 437MB Source
>> tarball(WTF, a browser bigger than OS source base)
>
> I suppose you noticed the emoticon (":P") at the end of that sentence.

437MB?  I gotta go check that out (as in verify, not load my poor disk
with even more stuff).

>> Google goes the wrong way. It just extends the current web crap not
>> reinvent something smarter.
>
> Wrong or right, it doesn't extend anything. Google just happened to
> release a new, blazingly fast browser. I don't know in what way this can
> be attributed as "web crap" or similar. Do you have any better idea?

It's great for Google!  Now Mozilla can use the lessons learned from
Chrome to make Firefox better!  Chrome is Google saying "we want a
better browser.  So we made a proof of concept for you to both copy and
improve upon."  I don't think Google is fixated upon webkit at all.
They just wanted something quick and easy that they could pop into
Chrome, which is mainly about the simplified interface, more survivable
process-based design, and the much-faster JavaScript engine.

Because Chrome is Open-Source, I see no reason why the Mozilla team and
the Chrome team cannot benefit from a little synergy as they learn from
each other to build better browsers.  True, it's competition, but it's
/Open-Source/ competition, the kind where everyone wins.