Google Chrome and process-based design

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:22:11 PDT 2008

Chris R. Miller wrote:
> Alexander Panek wrote:
>> davidl wrote:
>>> 在 Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:08:27 +0800,Alexander Panek
>>> <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> 写道:
>>> Who will ever want to port a such big project? 437MB Source
>>> tarball(WTF, a browser bigger than OS source base)
>> I suppose you noticed the emoticon (":P") at the end of that sentence.
>
> 437MB?  I gotta go check that out (as in verify, not load my poor disk
> with even more stuff).

I ran, I checked, I became intrigued, so I downloaded and decompressed.

Firstly, it's 1.682 GB of raw sources.

Secondly, I ran an HDGraph scan of the tree to see where everything is.

199.16 MB of hunspell dictionaries
147.46 MB of Chrome test data
228.31 MB of Chrome tools test data marked as a "reference build"
147.87 MB of webkit layout test results data
= 722.8 MB of non-code data

Therefore 1.682 GB - 722.8 MB = 959.2 MB total of source code

The Chrome source itself, minus the data and tools data, etc. is only
57.75 MB of source code for the browser itself.  The rest is third party
libraries, such as Cygwin libraries and what looks to be the better part
of 77 MB of a Perl interpreter and attached libraries, 158 MB of "icu38"
library sources, etc.  It's really no wonder it's such a large download,
since all you need to build the browser is MSVC 2005 and the Windows
SDK.  Otherwise you don't need to go download any of the other things
yourself.  So on closer inspection is does seem like a more appropriate
level of data for a browser.

Looking at a few of the source files individually, it does appear that
much of the code is reasonable, and that most of the data is just tools
for unit tests, etc.

Just thought I'd share.