Libs matters

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Sep 4 01:04:07 PDT 2008

My libs (I'm now finishing using ArrayBuilder everywhere it gives a gain) aren't a third lib alternative to Phobos and Tango, they run on D1 Phobos, about all of what they contain is absent from D1 Phobos, and ~98% of what they contain is absent from D2 Phobos, so they are meant to complement Phobos, they often contain patches to missing things in the D language, that I really hope will become useless, so I can remove them (for example I have had to write the ArrayBuilder, a StructCmp(), a equal() to test equality of AAs and arrays of static arrays, a printing function to replace/improve the limited/bad writefln/writef, etc etc). The only partially duplicated things are few of the ones into the std.algorithm of Phobos, but even that module isn't much duplicated, because they are based on a quite different philosophy.

So if Walter is interested I can write a long list that explains the contents and implementations of the modules of my libs (and/or he can just take a look at the html documentation and code), so he can tell me if there are modules/chunks of them he is willing to see copied into Phobos of D1/D2 (the license isn't a problem, at the moment most of the code has a Python license, and I can change it to make it suitable for Phobos). The more parts he wants to copy, then more things I can remove from them. They are also a way to let practical usage show where D1 itself lacks things.

Bye,
bearophile