Google Chrome and process-based design

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:50:21 PDT 2008

Tomas Lindquist Olsen wrote:
> Manfred_Nowak wrote:
>> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>>
>>> You can read the whole story at www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
>>
>> On page 16 they mention "precise GC".
>>
>> -manfred
>>

> Are you suggesting we should start talking about how this could be done
> in D ?
>
> -Tomas

It would require compiler support.

It would require emitting pointer maps for each stack frame and each object.

It's relatively straightforward. If you align pointers on word
boundaries, you only have to store one bit per word; else, one bit per
byte; so this is not a terribly large overhead (no more than a couple
bytes for a typical function, probably).

It wouldn't be terribly fast, but it probably wouldn't be an extreme
slowdown either, most likely.