link.exe is not here

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Tue Sep 9 21:01:50 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Walter Bright
> <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> Brad Roberts wrote:
>>> It's probably past time to consider the packaging of those tools within
>>> dmd.zip rather than requiring a separate download.  I'd be happy enough
>>> with requiring DMC to re-build phobos on windows (though even that is
>>> dubious as msvc should be a valid choice), but it shouldn't be required
>>> to build pure D apps.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>> I figured it cut down on the download size.
>>

> It's 4MB.  It's not exactly massive.

Have you ever considered using BitTorrent as an alternate distribution
method? Then you'd offload some of the bandwidth expense to the members
of the community rather than absorbing it all yourself.

I certainly wouldn't recommend getting rid of the direct-download
entirely, but if the file were available as a torrent, I for one would
certainly use it instead of the direct download.

--benji