UNA 1.1 Released - "Live" Syntax Checking for D

Jacob Carlborg doobnet at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 14:08:03 PDT 2008

John A. De Goes wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg Wrote:
>> I have to agree with Rayne. I've tried UNA 1.1 on osx and the only thing
>> that worked was compiling and showing errors when it compiled. I don't
>> know if it was because it failed to download CTAG but almost nothing
>> worked. No "Live" Syntax Checking for D,
>
> To get live syntax checking, you need to change the default compile tool (or one of your own creation) to work "On Change", and the Tool Output to, "Highlight Errors/Warnings ONLY".
>
>> no syntax highlighting,
>
> Now UNA has the best D syntax highlighting there is. It recognizes all literals and variables in strings, among other things. What was the extension of the file you were editing? Currently we use 'd' to identify D source code files.

After downloading UNA again and reinstalled it a couple of times (at
first I couldn't access the tools configuration) the syntax highlighting
and "live" syntax checking worked.

>> no code/autocompletion. And when I wanted to change the file encoding to
>> UTF-8 (I assume it has support for it) I couldn't because the "pop up
>> menu" was to tall to fit on the screen, it didn't shrink and added
>> scrolls arrows as it should on osx.
>
> Sounds like a problem with Swing. What's your default resolution?

1280x1024

>> BTW add default configurations for GDC and DSSS also.
>
> Thanks, I'll add it to the todo for the next micro release.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

I tried a hello world application and at first I got a little impressed
that it marked functions I hadn't imported yet as errors but that
quickly changed when I opened a larger file (almost 3500 lines) and it
didn't work. I never figured out how code/autocompletion worked, I think
I got into the mode, it said "one match", but never understood how to
insert the function name.

There are so many more features in descent and it's working, so for now
I don't think UNA has a chance against descent.

I don't expect you to rebuild UNA or something like that but for future
java projects/products I think you should have a look at SWT
(http://www.eclipse.org/swt/) which uses the native OS functions/methods
to draw its controls. And here are the same in D,
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt