Smooth transition to D2 for Tango users?

bobef bobef at nosmap-abv.bg
Wed Sep 17 00:00:12 PDT 2008

Hello guys,

I want to share my concerns because I read something here and there and I probably don't get the whole picture. From time to time I read about some new fancy D2 feature. They all seem very useful, but many of them are very different from D1. My concern is this: as a Tango user, I am not able to switch to D2 before there is steady Tango development based on D2. So I am unable to switch to D2 for the moment and it is constantly getting new features which makes the gap between D1 and D2 bigger and bigger. One day when all the issues are sorted out and D2 is stable and Tango moves to D2 I will want (and probably be forced to) to move to D2. But by that time the gap between D1 and D2 could be huge, so it could make porting my code very hard. I mean all this discussions I read about opCall getting deprecated, new way for doing opApply, delegates on the heap (or something like that) and the other discussions I skip. All these things that are more or less silently breaking the D1 compatibility. On other hand if there was a mature D2 Tango now, I would do my development in D2. I don't care it is not called stable. I was using D1 for years before it was called stable and I never found it more unstable that the 'final' version. Maybe few rare bugs here and there... If this was the case I could change my code gradually along with the changes to D2, but currently this doesn't seem possible. This seems like a problem to me. Can someone more intimately involved in this situation shed some light? Is this kind of problem a factor in the priority list of the D2 development, because I guess it will apply to most of the Tango users, which are most (I think) of the D users...

Regards,
bobef