A suggestion to D commulity 2

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Wed Sep 17 10:27:20 PDT 2008

>> > Your starting to get annoying with this "have to do" this "have to do"
>> > that bullshit, no one has to do anything there is no real big reason to
>> > make them compatible with each other, if it's not important and it's
>> > not
>> > no one is going to care.
>>
>> Having one library would be easier.
>>

>> > And there is a standard libary already, phobos,
>> I agree.
>>
>> >why discontinue tangos because it's the standard?
>> As I read it he is stating that it is a possibility to drop one of the
>> two
>> libraries.
>>
>> >Simply because you don't want to be tempted into using tango?
>> I read no preference for phobos in the post.
>>
>> >Your really not making any sense.
>> He thinks that merging two libraries together will become harder the
>> larger
>> they become.
>>

> Both libarys are useful, and they both offer different features that could
> be locked into either libary with a little work. I never said he prefered
> phobos, but I was making a point, hes stating there should only be one
> libary for D, as in (drop tango/phobos and go with <insert libary here>.
> I don't see why having one libary would be easier, you already have one
> libary you just get to choose between them, I think it's nice to have an
> alternate choice of libary.

I thought you agreed :)

Easier in that I don't have to make code from others compatible with my
stdlib.
Yeah its nice to have an alternative, but I'd also want all available code
to be compatible with it.
If I can choose the stdlib (leaving me the alternative) and everybody else
would use the stdlib I'd chosen that would fix it as well :D