inetd or super-server in D :-)

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Wed Sep 17 15:59:28 PDT 2008

Janderson wrote:
> * ? What is super-server. Context would help when trying to translate this.
>
>  >>> - how super-server can realize the port of connection request of
> the client, to provide proper request-handle procedure?
>
> * I'm not exactly sure what you mean here but I'll take 2 stabs *
>
> - How can I find the port the client made the request on.
> - How can I hand shake with the client to make a connection to the server.
>
>  >>> -after "fork" do I just trigger "exec" with proper server as an
> argument of the function   ?
>
> - Do I trigger "exec" with the ??proper server?? as an argument of the
> function after a "fork"?
>
> * ?? What is proper server?

I understood the question.

A "super server" is terminology for a linux daemon like "inted" or
"xinetd" which listens for certain incoming protocol events, determines
the appropriate server to invoke, and passes the request to that server.

A super server allows a single daemon to manage the servers for a bunch
of different protocols, so that you can consolidate their configuration
(and you don't need to have, for example pop3d, running 24 hours a day;
only when pop3 requests are handled).

Having said all that, I don't know anything about how to implement a
super server in D. But I thought the questions were unambiguous, at
least for someone who knows the background info about linux daemons.

--benji