Benchmark suite

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Fri Sep 19 06:19:22 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:43 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>> As you may know recently the Computer Shootout site has dropped many languages, among them there's D, Psyco (Python), etc. People that like Ruby language (and Jruby, etc) have created a benchmark suite, useful to tune implementations, compare their performance, spot some bugs, spot some performance bugs, etc:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-benchmark-suite
>>
>> A similar performance suite may be created for D too, but to not put blinders on the eyes it's essential to add to such suite some benchmarks in other languages too, like Java (for the GC), C or C++ with GCC (for general optimization), and maybe more.
>>
>> As starting point the programs of the Shoout are fine, but I think few other things can be added (to benchmark exceptions, compiling time, and some other interesting things that the Shootout doesn't benchmark now).
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>>

> I'd imagine the Computer Shootout has only dropped many languages on
> the newer platforms since there aren't implementations for them.
> Getting GDC to work on x86-64 is a daunting task, or so I've heard.
> D's still in all the older benchmarks.

Yeah, getting GDC to work on x86_64 is crazy. First you have to build
it, then you have to install it! And at that point, you have to run it
for it to do anything, but how am I supposed to know how you run
binaries?! Egad, I can't be expected to figure this completely insane
system out!

  - Gregor Richards