Google Chrome and process-based design

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Sep 19 07:59:32 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> It's probably worth mentioning that IE has offered an option to make
>>> each window its own process for as long as I can remember.  That said,
>>> the idea of rethinking browsers in general is a good one, if "web as a
>>> platform" is ever going to make headway.
>>
>> Ehrm, I think that the Window as a Process feature is in Explorer only,
>> not Internet Explorer.  I quickly checked my Internet Explorer and
>> didn't find that feature (though I know it's there for just plain-old
>> Explorer).  Explorer isn't a web browser AFAIK, so IE really hasn't been
>> doing anything special along those lines.
>
> Huh... I could have sworn there was an IE setting for this.  Ah well.
>

> Sean

Nope, but you can control it somewhat: in IE6 (and IE7 too I think) if
you open a new browser from an existing one (Open in New Window) it will
use the same process. But if you run the iexplorer.exe executable it
will launch a new process.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate