inetd or super-server in D :-)

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Sat Sep 20 03:39:10 PDT 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:16:41 +0100, Chris R. Miller
<lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert wrote:
>> I code super-server in D(simple implementation of something like
>> "inetd" does). To select attempt of connection I use modules of class
>> Selector. My problems:
>> - how super-server can realize the port of connection request of the
>> client, to provide proper request-handle procedure?
>> -after "fork" do I just trigger "exec" with proper server as an
>> argument of the function   ?
>> -should I trigger everything via TCPD? (because simple version with
>> exec(serverd,....) doesn't work properly on my ubuntu)?
>> - to close all file descriptors I have problem with usage of NOFILE
>> const or RLIMIT_NOFILE?
>> how this thing should look in D?
>> Thanks for any tips.
>
> http://www.enderunix.org/docs/eng/daemon.php
>
> This is the definitive guide for server programming on UNIX platforms.
> Note that most of these functions are hiding in unistd.h.  You can get
> them by importing the D bindings to the C standard library.

Ah 2001 before spelling hit the internet. Its nice to have standarts.

That's a handy link.
Its also work looking at Stevens - "Advanced Programming in the Unix
Environment":

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Environment-Addison-Wesley-Professional-Computing/dp/0201563177

And the art of unix programming is woth a read too:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/