Smooth transition to D2 for Tango users?

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 10:12:42 PDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Matti Niemenmaa
<see_signature at for.real.address> wrote:
> Bruce Adams wrote:
>> D1.0 is frozen. Bug fixes (to the spec) are permitted but major additions
>> are not.
>
> Major additions in the 1.0 series:
> - string mixins, string imports in 1.005
> - CTFE in 1.006
> - CTFE changes in 1.007 and 1.014
> - addition of the "ref" and "macro" keywords in 1.011
> - struct/AA literals in 1.014
> - array operations in 1.034
>
> All of the above broke backwards compatibility with earlier 1.0 versions.
>
> Many minor changes that could be argued as being more than just bug fixes:
> - removal of === and !== in 1.005
> - "final" changes in 1.011
> - the infamous .init change in 1.017
>
> All of the above broke code that compiled with earlier 1.0 versions.
>
> The suggestion under discussion doesn't seem so bad to me, considering all that...

But see, every time we mention these things to Walter he says "no
more, that was the last thing."  I.. somehow don't buy it, especially
with array ops coming out of the blue so recently.

The fact remains that Walter is horrid at communication and no one
knows for sure whether anything will be implemented, either soon or in
the distant future.  Feature requests like this might go completely
unnoticed, or he might be feverishly working on implementing them as
we speak.  No one knows.  The development of D is a black box, and
even after five years of experience with it, I _still_ have not
determined what inputs you have to poke and prod to effect the desired
outputs.