Pure functions in D (OT)

Paul D. Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Tue Sep 23 12:49:39 PDT 2008

Paul D. Anderson Wrote:

> BCS Wrote:
>

> > I wonder if any language have the full tensor of pronouns?
> >
> > 1st/2nd/3rd person X singular/plural X male/female/mixed/neutral
> >
> > If you don't omit any as impossible that would be 24 words. That wold be
> > a mouth full, including duplicates (him/her vs. he/she, we vs. us) I count
> > 9 in English (add on me, you and them).
> >

> FWIW, your list isn't long enough -- Maori (along with most other Polynesian languages) has a dual case as well -- singular/dual/plural. The language also distinguishes between the inclusive and exclusive use of "we" -- including or excluding the person being spoken to. "We're going to the baseball game" (And you're not!) vs. "We should get together sometime." (You and I should get together.)
>
> You also overlooked the reflexive pronouns -- myself, ourselves, itself, themselves, etc. English can be a little ragged in that area, again with regard to gender. If a person of indeterminate gender should take some reflexive action does he/she do it himself? herself? itself? themself? -- Even the otherwise servicable "they" doesn't work since it is invariable plural, "themselves", when used reflexively.
>
> And interrogatives are sometimes considered pronouns -- who/whom, etc. Do even the artificial languages (Esperanto, LogLan, etc.) fill all these slots??
>
> Paul

For completeness I should add that Maori has two categories of nouns, a-nouns and o-nouns, that take different verbal particles including pronouns. The categories are hard to keep straight for the non-native speaker (me) but seem to have something to do with portability.

An interesting discussion of linguistic categories is found in George Lakoff's "Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things". The title describes one of three categories of nouns used in an Australian native language.

See also: http://www.multicians.org/thvv/borges-animals.html

Paul