Pure functions in D

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Sep 23 15:33:19 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Ary,
>
>> Yigal Chripun wrote:

>>> in my native language (Hebrew) there is no neutral part at all.
>>> everything is either male, female or (rarely) both. That included
>>> stuff
>>> like chair, table (both male), shirt (female) etc.
>>> No such problems as you describe occur in practice (in Hebrew) -
>>> either
>>> you use the male form (which is the default):
>>> "I saw someone (in the male form) steal the bag" - is understood to
>>> be
>>> someone either male or female. this is because when you say "him",
>>> someone, etc, you refer to a "person" which is a male noun. if you
>>> want
>>> to specify that it was indeed a man than just say: "I saw a _man_ ...
>>> "
>> I find it most interesting that four versions of "you" exist in
>> hebrew, that are all combinations of "male/female" and
>> "singular/plural".
>>

> I wonder if any language have the full tensor of pronouns?
>
> 1st/2nd/3rd person X singular/plural X male/female/mixed/neutral
>
> If you don't omit any as impossible that would be 24 words. That wold be
> a mouth full, including duplicates (him/her vs. he/she, we vs. us) I
> count 9 in English (add on me, you and them).

Hum, seems I got here before Bill Baxter. :P

And if you go into Japanese, you'll see even more variations. Basically
Japanese has variations that depend on the tone of the speech (formal or
not) Like:

watashi - I (genderless and formal)
atashi - I (used by females and a bit less formal)
boku - I (used by males and informal)
ore - I (used by males in vulgar and arrogant-sounding tone)

But even freakier, sometimes, in the case of the 2nd person, they depend
not on the *target* of the pronoun (the 2nd person), but also the gender
of the speaker! Like:

anata - you (genderless target, formal)
kimi - you (genderless target, semi-formal, *used by males*)
temee - you (genderless target, vulgar and insulting, *used by males*)

There are probably many other variants, but I'm nowhere near an expert
in Japanese.

So basically you can insult someone in Japanese with just one word! So
"temee" can be translated something like "You bastard!", but I always
chuckle when I see anime fansubs which translate it to just the more
literal "You!!!" ^^

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate