[OT] D hidden features topic for StackOverflow

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Sep 25 13:31:07 PDT 2008

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:gbgr2h$306j$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky:
>> FWIW, I was thrilled to see that newer versions of JS actually allow
>> variables to be declared as actual specific types instead of just
>> variant.
>
> Everyone is free to like or dislike JavaScript, but the point here is that
> all JS and all its features are designed to be a small dynamic language
> with prototype-based OOP. So bolting on it fake-static-typing plus
> Java-style classes makes it a mess. That's why I was not trilled.
> If you like static typing and Java-style OOP, is much better to start with
> a Java/C#-like language instead, and keep using it. Think about adding to
> the current D2 language prototype-based OOP too and a lot of dynamic
> typing here and there, and you get an image of a reversed situation.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

As far as I'm concerned, dynamic typing and prototype-OO are mistakes
period. I can understand that it's good for a language to be true to itself,
but when "itself" is just a giant pile of bad ideas in the first place, then
shoehorning it into something more sensible, despite being messy or
inconsistent, is at least the next best thing to the ideal action of just
abandoning the monstrosity entirely and replacing it with what it should
have been from the start.