D vs Java as a first programming language

Chris R. Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:43:18 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:
> Chris R. Miller:
>> Probably a better thing for them.  If they can't deal with approaching a
>> new and foreign concept by gently probing into it, they probably won't
>> fare well in the rest of Computer Science as well.
>
> From what you say you are an awful teacher :-]

Ironically not.  Just goes to show that people with poor opinions can
still become semifunctional members of society.  ;-)

> I'm glad to have had teaches way better than you.

Hence why I don't try and teach.  I just don't think that it's a good
idea to force a student to learn something that they might not have any
real aptitude with.  As my old saxophone teacher used to note, there are
two quantities in students that make success.  The first is talent, the
other is determination.  A student with talent and little determination
fails, but a student with little talent and all the determination in the
world succeeds.

I suppose I over-simplified in my original statement.  There are (many)
more variables that I would want to factor in before recommending that
someone continue exploring other career/hobby opportunities.