D vs Java as a first programming language

Chris R. Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:46:22 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Chad J wrote:
>> Hmmmm, now this may be of zero interest to the OP, but I the
>> appearance of yet another programming pedagogy thread has caused me to
>> spawn a crazy idea.
>>
>> Disclaimer:  This is probably a bad idea.
>>
>> So what if one of the ways to institutionally teach beginning
>> programming was to just institutionalize the way I learned how to
>> program?  You set up an Ultima Online server.  Customize it to cater
>> to macroing/botting.  So it's kind of like robocode, but more RPGish
>> and with some obligatory grindy numerical crap that has to be done
>> before you are actually good at the game.
>
> In my wife's AI course the students built simulated robots which
> competed in various contests (navigate the maze fastest, etc).  I think
> it was a fun way to get students interested in the material and think
> about how to apply it in a practical manner.  This is my succinct way of
> agreeing with your idea of making courses fun for the students :-)

It works.  I learned Java in a similar manner:

http://pclc.pace.edu/~bergin/KarelJava2ed/Karel%2B%2BJavaEdition.html

I've been itching to write a DWT incarnation just for kicks.  Imagine...

Karel D. Robot.  Stronger.  Faster.  On the whole more delicious than a
cookie!

I thought it could help showcase the power of D as a real programming
language.  Then I got roped into another project so I had to shelf the
idea.  :(