D vs Java as a first programming language

Jim Hewes jimhewes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 12:40:51 PDT 2008

<de-lurk>

I know BASIC and Microsoft are probably scorned here, but in this situation
Visual Basic might be worth considering at least. Students can download the
Express Edition for free ( http://www.microsoft.com/Express/VB/ ) and have a
complete development environment. And there are some tutorials there to get
started.

I wouldn’t recommend future developers bother with it. But since these
students are biologists and not future software engineers, it may not be so
important that they avoid a “bad” language that they will have to unlearn
later. In the future they’ll just want something that they can use to
quickly and easily get something done. A lot of people use VB to get things
done.

Having said that, I haven’t actually tried VB Express Edition to see how
easy it is. But I use Visual Studio every day for C++ and some C# and it’s a
decent environment. In the old days, before C became popular, BASIC was one
of the first languages I used and I don’t think it screwed me up too badly
(although I guess that’s open for argument :-) ) In any case, it’s probably
a good idea to use a dynamically-typed language.

I used Scheme for a while in college many years ago and while it’s a good
thing to teach programmers, at the time I found it hard to debug. We had no
step debugger for it. Maybe things have improved since then. But I think the
tools and environment you have to work with can be important too, not just
the language itself. It’s harder to learn something in a limited amount of
time when you have to struggle with the tools.

Jim

</de-lurk>