D vs Java as a first programming language

JMNorris nospam at nospam.com
Tue Sep 30 15:44:35 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote in
news:gbtp36$krc$1 at digitalmars.com:

> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>
>> It doesn't matter what they're willing to take.  You are the
>> instructor.
>>    In due time you will make all things known.  For now they need to
>> just shut up and do what they're told.
>
> And some will become frustrated and change majors, fail out, etc.

Given some of the cut-and-paste Java programmers out there, that's a good
thing.  (A friend told his overly soft-hearted boss, when compalaining
about a co-worker who couldn't figure out why commented out code wasn't
executing: "Fire him.  It is better that he finds out now that he is in the
wrong profession than when he is married with two kids and a mortgage.")  I
suppose, though, that you had in mind students changing majors or even
failing out for the wrong reasons.

--
JMNorris