what prevents dynamic array from being deprecated & tuple being accepted?

davidl davidl at 126.com
Wed Apr 1 21:08:39 PDT 2009

Something like following can substitute dynamic array:
struct da(T){
     T* ptr;
     int len, capacity;
     T opIndex(int i){}
     int length(){ return len;}
     void length(int len){ // do allocation}
     this(int i){ //allocate memory for ptr }
     this(){ // do nothing}
     da!(T) opCat(T* a){ //do concat }
     da!(T) opCat_r(T* a){ //do concat }
     da!(T) opCat(T c){ //do concat }
     da!(T) opCat_r(T c){ //do concat }
     opAssign(T* p) {}
     opAssign(da!(T) da) {}
     da!(T) opMul(int i) {}
     da!(T) opMul(da!(T) i) {}  // some dot product ?
     da!(T) opDiv(da!(T) i) {}
}

auto myda = da!(int)(3)
auto p = da!(int)();

p = myda~3;

The cons/pros of this proposal:
Cons:
ungly syntax   da!(int)(3) is really worse than int[3];
slow down the compiling process

Pros:
We can extend dynamic array without D2 feature of alias This

Also Tuple!(int, float) is accused as ugly

I believe the metatype programming system here not yet fully exploited.

The template matching is powerful, but the syntax is aweful.

how about the following beautify of da!(int)(3) and tuple!(int,float)

type(T)  // overload all types
{
    opIndex(int v)
    {
        type = da!(T)(v)   // we directly meta program the type system
    }
    opIndex(U)
    {
        // associate array, assume we created some associate array struct
template named Aa
        type = Aa!(U, T)
    }
    opCat(U)
    {
        type = Tuple!(T,U);

then we can do :

int[3] => type(int) opIndex(int v) then further resolve the type to be
da!(int)(3)

int~float => type(int) opCat(float) , therefore further resolve the type
to be Tuple!(int, float)

I think tuple of int~float is quite acceptable

With this directly metaprogramming, we can solve series of issues all
together.

We can define a matrix by int^int or float^float

Imagine:

int^int mat= new int^int(3,4);
int[4] p;
auto v= mat*p;   // we can do a lot compile time check in the compiletime
type syntax meta programming

We can define function curry as:
f^g h;
h(3) will eventually become f(g(3));