What Scala?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Apr 2 10:15:16 PDT 2009

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:gr1l57$vu5$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky:
>>Sounds like most of the CS classes I had in college.<
>
> You have to form a little group with few other of the students most
> interested in those classes (or you can even act alone), and ask the
> teacher to change the style or way, explaining him/her to slow down or
> speed up topics. Most teachers if asked kindly are willing to change their
> speed, especially if there's enough time to slow down.

Heh, it's much too late for that. Been out of college for awhile now ;)

Besides, it probably wouldn't have worked anyway. Most of my classmates had
practically zero experience outside of class, so they probably did need that
(and don't get me started on the complete ineptitude of the CS *grad*
students I met. Hell, even some of the cs phd profs didn't know what the
hell they were doing, I have stories about all of that...), whereas I've
been coding practically since I learned to read. If there's one thing my
school experience taught me, it's that teachers are only interested in
focusing on the low-to-mid-range students. The advanced ones are only there
to shell out tuition money and act as cheap tutors. They would be far better
off saving their time and money by not even going, but they almost *have* to
go anyway just because the rest of society (and HR drones in particular) are
brainwashed into thinking that there's a direct correlation between
academics and competence (if anything, it's slightly inverse - one of the
smartest people I know had so much trouble with school he ended up a high
school dropout).