What Scala?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Apr 2 15:04:50 PDT 2009

== Quote from dsimcha (dsimcha at yahoo.com)'s article
> == Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> > Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > > If there's one thing my
> > > school experience taught me, it's that teachers are only interested in
> > > focusing on the low-to-mid-range students.
> > That wasn't my college experience at all (Caltech). I was a
> > low-to-mid-range student there
> ...Which kind of proves the point that the way knowledge/learning in college is
> measured is pretty flawed in that it doesn't predict who will be successful
> afterword.  I just finished undergrad a couple years ago and I feel that the kinds
> of multiple choice exams you get in huge lecture-based classes are good at testing
> rote memorization and superficial understanding and the ability to get inside the
> professor's head, where as what's important is the ability to take your knowledge
> and apply it to something useful or use it to create more knowledge.

I definitely would try to avoid universities where multiple-choice tests are the norm
(oddly, I've heard that UC Berkeley falls into this category, and as a result it's also
apparently a haven for cheaters).  I went back to finish my undergrad degree recently
and despite being at a large state school the classes were all a reasonable size and
the grades derived from a combination of homework and actual problem-solving
quizzes and exams.  Now a prospective employer may not know or care what format
your classes followed, but I'd personally put more stock in a degree that was obtained
from as few multiple-choice tests as possible.