What Scala?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Apr 3 00:16:07 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> I definitely would try to avoid universities where multiple-choice
>> tests are the norm
>> (oddly, I've heard that UC Berkeley falls into this category, and as a
>> result it's also
>> apparently a haven for cheaters).  I went back to finish my undergrad
>> degree recently
>> and despite being at a large state school the classes were all a
>> reasonable size and
>> the grades derived from a combination of homework and actual
>> problem-solving
>> quizzes and exams.  Now a prospective employer may not know or care
>> what format
>> your classes followed, but I'd personally put more stock in a degree
>> that was obtained
>> from as few multiple-choice tests as possible.
>

> As I said before, as a matter of school policy, Caltech did not allow
> multiple choice exams. It also, as a matter of policy, did not allow
> homework to be part of the grade (unless the homework was the whole
> point of the course, like a lab course). The homework could only be used
> as a bias in case the grade was on the edge or there was some special
> circumstance.
>
> In other words, the grades were based on the midterm and final. This
> naturally made finals week very, very stressful. On the other hand, if
> you never went to class, never did any homework, never saw the
> professor, swooped in and aced the final, you got an A. There were some
> that did this <g>. I was in awe.

I managed that for one CompSci subject. It was called "System
Structures". I have no idea what the subject was about, since I hadn't
attended a single lecture; but I came first in the exam.
At the same time, I got 12% for one intermediate exam in Organic
Chemistry, which I'd been very diligent in -- I was dreadful at rote
memorisation.