Stack tracing on Linux ?

Fawzi Mohamed fmohamed at mac.com
Fri Apr 3 01:09:02 PDT 2009

On 2009-04-02 21:18:55 +0200, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> said:

> == Quote from Georg Wrede (georg.wrede at iki.fi)'s article
>> Fawzi Mohamed wrote:
>>>
>>> The tracing of tango svn version (that uses libc backtrace) seems to
>>> work rather well.
>>> It does not give you the names, but as said that is due to a license
>>> problem.
>> Aarrghhh. What most frustrates me is when something obvious can't be
>> done because of external trivialities.
>
> The Tango plugin architecture for backtrace was designed so that the
> backtrace code doesn't have to be integrated into Tango itself, eliminating
> the license problem.  But I can see how this might be a problem if you
> want to bundle a backtrace library with Tango :-)

having some stacktracing by default there was the number one request at
the tango reference, and also in the wish list for a while.
The idea is not to disallow external solutions, but to have something
working there by default.
Please note that something using GPL code even as plugin forces the
whole application to be GPL, which is not acceptable for anyone not
wanting to release its application as GPL.

Fawzi