Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Sun Apr 5 06:14:56 PDT 2009

bearophile schrieb:
> Daniel Keep:
>> http://dobbscodetalk.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Multithreaded-I-O.html&Itemid=29
>
> Is this an improvement of the DMD backend? Now I'm curious: isn't DMD a legacy backend? If this is true, isn't improving it a waste of time, and time is better spent improving something like LLVM? (I am not trying to offend anyone here, I am just curious).
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

i don't think that llvm is a good playground for walters ideas in
backend and frontend development because he knows is backend very well
(for many years now) - its bugs, sleeping features, way to compile and
extend it

llvm is still missing windows execptions and maybe many others things
and it is more that 50% of the whole project (except the language
itselfe) even the gcc-guys still mantain there own backend