Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 12:53:56 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I've always wondered why some people put so much emphasis on the 10% of
> computer security that's highly technical in nature when 90% of the problem of
> computer security is between the keyboard and the chair.

ComputerIlliterateFriend: Hey Jarrett, can you come over and fix my computer?
Jarrett: What's it doing?
CIF: It's popping up all sorts of dialog boxes telling me I need to
get Spyware Aweseom Remover and stuff, and it's running really slow,
and my files keep disappearing.
Jarrett: And where have you been on the internet?
CIF: Oh you know, normal sites.
Jarrett: Like?
CIF: Porn, more porn, horse porn, warez.  I also used Limewire to
download *every song and program ever made*, and I make it a habit to
click on interesting-looking [read: violently-flashing] ads.
Jarrett: ...
CIF: What?  Did I do something wrong?

Seriously.  It's like sleeping with every prostitute on the East Coast
and acting surprised when you have seventeen STDs.