Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Apr 6 13:13:34 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I've always wondered why some people put so much emphasis on the 10% of
>> computer security that's highly technical in nature when 90% of the problem of
>> computer security is between the keyboard and the chair.
>>

> ComputerIlliterateFriend: Hey Jarrett, can you come over and fix my computer?
> Jarrett: What's it doing?
> CIF: It's popping up all sorts of dialog boxes telling me I need to
> get Spyware Aweseom Remover and stuff, and it's running really slow,
> and my files keep disappearing.
> Jarrett: And where have you been on the internet?
> CIF: Oh you know, normal sites.
> Jarrett: Like?
> CIF: Porn, more porn, horse porn, warez.  I also used Limewire to
> download *every song and program ever made*, and I make it a habit to
> click on interesting-looking [read: violently-flashing] ads.
> Jarrett: ...
> CIF: What?  Did I do something wrong?
>
> Seriously.  It's like sleeping with every prostitute on the East Coast
> and acting surprised when you have seventeen STDs.

I think this is a large exaggeration. People of all walks of life are
exposed to dangers when using a Windows machine. My father-in-law knows
virtually (no, literally) nothing about computers, but I taught him
enough to double-click an icon on the desktop to read the news off a
reputable site. He virused the computer without typing (he has no notion
of address bar etc.). So I moved him to an ubuntu box.

Whenever the endless debate of windows vs. linux vs. mac comes up, I
repeat my comment: if you are a programmer, you better acquire some
experience in each. For Windows/Mac it's not as easy because they may
cost money, but now with virtual machines, good distributions etc. I
think there is no excuse for a programmer to not seriously looking into
Unix.

Andrei