why Unix?

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:04:53 PDT 2009

> Also - for me at least, learning Unix as an occasional activity (e.g.
> cygwin, the occasional ssh, trying a couple of things) has had very little
> value. Didn't work for me in the least. I remember how I installed cygwin
> for the first time and started it. It was very exciting - I could try Unix
> in a sandbox! So I started cygwin.bat and there it was - one black window
> with a "% " prompt. I knew only ls and pwd, so I ran those, and then
> closed the box. Unix wasn't telling me anything.
I did exactly that :D

> I had to complete a sizable task before I felt I'd started to get the
> point.

If I were to switch right now it would take me a few days to install all the
programs.
Most programs I use are open source anyways, so that wouldn't be a problem.
Even my old Photoshop is gold or so in wine.
But then I would just have a slightly crippled windows box
(less games, cs4 and office are garbage on ubuntu).
When would I start using things that aren't on windows?